I’m notorious for being a night owl but over the past few months, I’ve been reminded again and again just how much more productive and successful morning people are.
To make matters worse, it turns out research shows that morning people are also HAPPIER.
In my recent readings, I’ve come across a few things that suggest you can become a morning person (or at least, not hate early mornings with mind, body, and soul) // sigh. Even *writing* “early mornings” sends a wave of “ick” right through me. This is going to be tough. What was I saying? Oh yeah-my reading says you can do it in 5 days.
So starting Monday December … wait a minute. It’s a holiday week. Am I setting myself up for failure? Whatever. Here goes!
Monday December 22 I will be doing the following every day for 5 days in hopes of realizing this elusive morning person dream:
- Setting my alarm for the previously unheard time of 7am (Yes, I know, you early birds are laughing hysterically. Especially my husband who regularly gets up at 4:30am. YES you read that right-4:30AM)
- I will NOT snooze my alarm
- I will lay in the bed for 3-5 minutes (or whatever seems like that long) to wake up. Sans phone or devices.
- To increase my serotonin and happy feelings, I will be moving my body. Nothing strenuous, just for the lift
- I will also eat something as I know I will be starving!
They also suggest doing something you REALLY like first thing that way you can reprogram your brain to be like “oooh! morning!! we get to _____!”. I’m on the fence as to what that should be for me. Maybe indulge in some magazines on the iPad (after I’m out of bed) or read an ebook I’ve been meaning to finish. Definitely not book reading-that’s a bed time routine for me. Talk about setting yourself up for failure!
Where I learned some of this:
Are you a morning person? Or did you used to be a night owl and have made the switch?
I’d love to hear your favorite things that make mornings brighter in the comments!